The toughest Roads
shouldn't be navigated alone
shouldn't be
navigated alone
Let's get you back
on the road legally
Attorney Brian Simoneau is a great lawyer. He is very versed on the current laws and he will help you convey a well organized winning case. I would highly recommend him.
James F.
c-img-new c-img-new

New Hampshire DUI Questions & Answers


Question: I received a DUI in the State of New Hampshire in October of 2012. I am moving to Massachusetts and am looking to find out how to get my license back, so I do not lose my job.

Answer: MassDOT will not issue you a Massachusetts driver’s license if your license or right to operate is under suspension or revocation in any other state. Without this requirement, drunk drivers could simply move around to avoid mandatory DUI license suspensions. In order to get a license in Massachusetts, you must first fully reinstate your New Hampshire license. Once you have done this, the New Hampshire DMV will remove the hold in the Problem Driver Pointer System of the National Driver Register and you can convert your New Hampshire license to a Massachusetts License.

Question: second dui out of state …I am here in Massachusetts working for several months and have been abiding by the law and not driving and taking cab to and from work, which is getting expensive and tedious….Can I get a hardship license here while I am working?

Can a person with dui working here from another state get a temp hardship license?….I have and will be here working for quite a while and a cab to and from work is getting cumbersome NOT to mention expensive.

Answer: No. You must be a resident of Massachusetts to get a Massachusetts Driver’s License. Also, the Registry will check you in the National Driver Register and the RMV will not issue you a Massachusetts license of any kind, including a hardship license, while your license or right to drive is suspended or revoked in any other state. If it were not for this rule, convicted drunk drivers and habitual traffic offenders could move from state to state to avoid license suspensions.

Question: I received a mandatory 6 month administrative license loss in NH for declining a breath test. The fact that the cop arrested me for DUI was bogus and the case never went to trial. Nevertheless, the administrative penalty for denying the breath test (which I understand is acceptable without penalty in MA) still stands and caught up with me in MA (received a letter from the RMV the other week). I have an important job for a national organization that requires me to be able to legally drive and public transportation is not a strong option. I also am a former Army officer with a distinguished service record. From my view, I have a lot on my working in my favor that should make a hardship license easy to come by.

Answer: Unfortunately, unlike Massachusetts, the State of New Hampshire does not issue hardship licenses. Therefore, you cannot get a hardship license in Massachusetts while your right to operate is suspended or revoked in the State of New Hampshire. If the New Hampshire DUI arrest resulted in a conviction, you would have an additional suspension in Massachusetts for being convicted of DUI in New Hampshire. You could be considered for a hardship license for that suspension. Also, in some cases, it is possible to get the 1 year out of state DUI suspension reduced to 45 days.

Related Articles