The toughest Roads
shouldn't be navigated alone
shouldn't be
navigated alone
Let's get you back
on the road legally
Attorney Brian Simoneau is a great lawyer. He is very versed on the current laws and he will help you convey a well organized winning case. I would highly recommend him.
James F.
c-img-new c-img-new

The Ignition Interlock Operator’s Affidavit

Ignition Interlock Devices

The Registry of Motor Vehicles requires all repeat DUI offenders who are reinstating from a DUI suspension on or after January 1, 2006, to use an ignition interlock device in any vehicle which the repeat DUI offender owns, leases, or operates. The IID requirement will be imposed during the entire term of any hardship license and for at least 2 years after the individual has his or her “H” restriction removed and obtains a full-time license.

The Registry requires anyone who is required to use an ignition interlock device to complete and sign an “Ignition Interlock Operator’s Affidavit.” This is mandatory and the RMV will not allow reinstatement without it.

Section C of the Ignition Interlock Operator’s Affidavit requires the person who is applying for reinstatement to list each vehicle he or she owns, leases, or operates. This cannot be left blank under any circumstances.

You must identify the vehicle that the ignition interlock device will be installed into as a condition of reinstatement. The Registry will not issue you a license without a vehicle identified in the IID Operator’s Affidavit. You cannot get a license now and get a vehicle later.

The vehicle listed does not have to be registered and you do not have to own the vehicle. All that is required is that the vehicle is identified by make, model, and VIN. Since you can only drive IID-equipped vehicles, the Registry will not issue you a license without a vehicle listed. The Registry’s concern is that you will operate a non-IID-equipped vehicle, which is a felony.

If the vehicle is unregistered, you can have it towed to the Interlock Service Provider to have the IID installed. Once the Registry receives proof of installation of the ignition interlock device, you can pay your reinstatement fees and get the suspensions lifted. Once the suspensions are lifted, you can apply for insurance and once the vehicle is insured you can register it.

You do not need an active driver’s license to get insurance in Massachusetts, you just cannot get insurance with a suspended license. Once the Registry releases the suspensions you can apply for insurance coverage.

Once the Registry receives proof of installation of the interlock, and you pay the reinstatement fees, you can reinstate your license or apply for a learner’s permit one is required. Anyone reinstating after not having a license for 2 or more years must pass a full exam, consisting of a written and road rest.

Anyone who resides in your household who has an active license must complete and sign an Other Licensed Resident Affidavit.

Related Articles