The Registry of Motor Vehicles has determined that the following actions or inactions will constitute ignition interlock violations and these may result in 10 year or lifetime license revocations. Massachusetts appears to have the strictest Ignition Interlock Violations in the country and the Registry enforces IID program rules with a zero-tolerance approach. Fortunately, if you have been accused of an ignition interlock violation, you have the right to a hearing at the RMV in Boston and you have the right to be represented by a lawyer that that hearing. Given the harsh consequences, skilled legal representation is strongly recommended.
- Operating without a certified Ignition Interlock Device
- Soliciting or allowing another person to blow into an Ignition Interlock Device so that the person whose license has the IID restriction can operate the vehicle
- Using any means other than blowing directly into the IID mouthpiece to supply the required breath sample
- Attempting to circumvent or tamper with the Ignition Interlock Device
- A single failed rolling re-test which registers a reading at or above .05
- Two failed rolling re-tests during one IID service period which registers a reading between .02 and .05.
- Two IID Lockouts due to missed rolling re-tests
- Two missed IID service visits
- Operating or attempting to operate a vehicle with a BAC which caused the IID to prohibit the vehicle from starting on at least 2 instances or which caused the IID to register a reading in excess of .02 on at least 2 occasions.