Getting back on the road in Massachusetts after an out of state DUI or license suspension can be a major headache.  Massachusetts residents and license holders often have trouble because they must satisfy the DMV in the state where the drunk driving offense occurred as well as the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles. 

G.L. c. 90 § 22(c) requires the Registry to revoke driver’s licenses issued here when the license holder’s right to operate is suspended or revoked in any other state or jurisdiction.  This means that if your license is revoked in any other state, the Mass. RMV is required to suspend or revoke your license here in Massachusetts. Also, G.L c. 90 § 22(c) requires the Registry to treat an out of state drunk driving offense as if it had happened here in Massachusetts, for license suspension purposes. This triggers a 1 year loss of license, which can sometimes be reduced to 45 days.

Fortunately, like Massachusetts, some other states grant hardship licenses which they may describe as provisional, temporary, restricted or Cinderella licenses.  Some states call these limited licenses restricted driving permits, work licenses, or work permits. No matter the title, the basic purposes of these licenses is to allow a person whose license was revoked or suspended to be able to get to and from work.  Where these hardship licenses are available, they are usually issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). However, in North Carolina, for example, they are issued by the judge who presides over the DUI case.

In some cases, it may be possible to get the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles to grant a hardship license, even if the driver’s right to operate is suspended in another state and reported to Massachusetts through the National Driver Register (NDR).  Hardship, Cinderella, or restricted licenses are available from the following states: California, Florida, Indiana, Louisiana, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, and Oregon.

If you need help with a Massachusetts license suspension , contact a lawyer for a free review of your case.  You can reach Attorney Brian E. Simoneau by completing the contact form on this site or calling 508-656-0057.