Out of State License Suspensions

The Massachusetts Registry is required by law to revoke your Massachusetts License anytime your right to drive is suspended or revoked in another state. You absolutely cannot get a Mass. hardship license, work license, or a Cinderella license on an out of state revocation. In order to get your Massachusetts driver’s license back, you must obtain the following items from the other state and provide them at your Massachusetts License Reinstatement hearing:

  1. A certified copy of your driving record from the other state.
  2. A clearance letter on letterhead, from the other state’s Registry, Department of Motor Vehicles, or DMV. The letter should state that your right to operate has been reisntated and that you are clear to drive.
  3. If your license was revoked due to a criminal offense, such as DWI, DUI, OUI, DWAI, Drunk Driving, Reckless Driving, Operating to endanger, vehicular homicide, or a breathalyzer refusal, you will need a certified copy of the court docket from the out of state court where your case was heard. The docket should state the charges and the outcome.

All documents must be originals, dated not more than 30 days from your Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles Hearing date. These documents will clear your National Driver Registry (NDR) indefinite suspension in Massachusetts. Your Mass. license will remain suspended unless and until your provide the above-listed documents to the RMV.

However, providing the above-listed documents to the Mass. RMV may trigger another license suspension. If you were licensed in Massachusetts or a Massachusetts resident at the time you were convicted of an out of state offense, the Mass. RMV is required by law to treat the offense as if it has occurred in Massachusetts. For example, if you committed a first offense out of state DUI, the Massachusetts Registry would revoke your license indefinitely until you met all of your obligations in the other state and provided the 3 documents listed above. Then Massachusetts would revoke your license for 1 year for having committed a First Offense DUI. In some cases, it is possible to get this one year revocation reduced to 45 days under the First Offender Program. Contact Attorney Brian E. Simoneau at 508-656-0057 or e-mail attorney@rmvappeal.com for more information.